2017 Reproductive Resolutions
Happy New Year!
And with this new year, we know you’re thinking about a “new you”. New year’s resolutions mean different things to different people, but usually a little over half of Americans make them every year.
If you were curious, these were 10 of the most common resolutions made last year:
- Lose weight
- Get organized
- Spend less, save more
- Enjoy life to the fullest
- Staying fit and healthy
- Learn something exciting
- Quit Smoking
- Help others
- Fall in love
- Spend more time with family
Notice something missing? We did. One of the things missing from this list of awesome ideas is reproductive health! It’s not often at the top of people’s lists, but reproductive health is a part of life for everyone, and covers far more than just having children or getting birth control. Looking at your goals for the coming year and tying them to your reproductive health can be helpful in achieving things you would not have otherwise thought tied together (like education or overall health).
Some things to think about in the coming year when making your reproductive resolutions could be:
- Starting to use a period tracker to understand your own menstrual cycle, like this one here or through apps like iPeriod
- If wishing to get pregnant this year, working on your preconception health (which is similar to our other favorite resolutions: health eating, exercise, and quitting smoking/other substances)
- Talking with your partner about your contraceptive choices, and finding a method that works for both of you
- Getting an STI test regularly, especially after new partners
- Using a helpful app to remind you when to take your pill, like this handy one here from Bedsider
- Looking at your other goals for the year and seeing how your reproductive health plays a role in them, like getting ahead in your career, getting an education, spending time with or starting/growing a family
Whatever you choose, the end goal is the same: a healthier, happier you!
From our family to yours, Have a happy (and reproductively healthy) New Year!